About the Mission
Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) is a Centrally Sponsored Scheme for the holistic growth of the horticulture sector covering fruits, vegetables, root & tuber crops, mushrooms, spices, flowers, aromatic plants, coconut, cashew, cocoa and bamboo.
While Government of India (GOI) contributes 85% of total outlay for developmental programmes in all the states except the states in North East and Himalayas, 15% share is contributed by State Governments. In the case of North Eastern States and Himalayan States, GOI contribution is 100%. Similarly, for development of bamboo and programmes of National Horticulture Board (NHB), Coconut Development Board (CDB), Central Institute for Horticulture (CIH), Nagaland and the National Level Agencies (NLA), GOI contribution will be 100%.
Main objectives of Mission
- Promote holistic growth of horticulture sector, including bamboo and coconut through area based regionally differentiated strategies, which includes research, technology promotion, extension, post harvest management, processing and marketing, in consonance with comparative advantage of each State/region and its diverse agro-climatic features;
- Encourage aggregation of farmers into farmer groups like FIGs/FPOs and FPCs to bring economy of scale and scope.
- Enhance horticulture production, augment farmers, income and strengthen nutritional security;
- Improve productivity by way of quality germplasm, planting material and water use efficiency through Micro Irrigation.
- Support skill development and create employment generation opportunities for rural youth in horticulture and post harvest management, especially in the cold chain sector
Sub-schemes and area of operation
|Sl. No.||Sub Scheme||Target group / area of operation
||National Horticulture Mission (NHM)
||All states & UTs except states in NE and Himalayan Region.
||Horticulture Mission for North East & Himalayan States (HMNEH)
||All states in NE and Himalayan Region - Arunachal Pradesh, Assam, Manipur, Mizoram, Nagaland, Meghalaya, Sikkim, Tripura, Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand and Jammu & Kashmir
||National Bamboo Mission (NBM)
||All states & UTs
||National Horticulture Board (NHB)
||All states & UTs focusing on commercial horticulture
||Coconut Development Board (CDB)
||All States and UTs where coconut is grown
||Central Institute for Horticulture (CIH)
||NE states, focusing on HRD and capacity building.
Activities for which financial assistance is provided
Under MIDH, financial assistance is provided for following major interventions/activities:
- Setting up of nurseries, tissue culture units for production of quality seed and planting material.
- Area expansion i.e. Establishment of new orchards and gardens for fruits, vegetables, and flowers. · Rejuvenation of unproductive, old, and senile orchards.
- Protected cultivation, i.e. poly-house, green-house, etc, to improve the productivity & grow off season high value vegetables and flowers.
- Organic farming and certification.
- Creation of water resources structures and watershed management.
- Bee-keeping for pollination.
- Horticulture Mechanization.
- Creation of Post Harvest Management and Marketing infrastructure.
Key elements of the mission
- Base line survey
- Involvement of Panchayati Raj institutions
- Area based Annual and Perspective Plans based on end to end approach with backward and forward linkages
- Applied Research with focus on Region
- Demand driven production based on cluster approach
- Availability of quality seeds and planting material
- Technology driven programmes to improve productivity and quality, e.g.
Post Harvest Management and cold chain
Marketing infrastructure development
Meticulous reporting and monitoring
Data base generation, compilation and analysis
- Introduction of improved varieties.
- Rejuvenation with improved cultivars.
- High Density Plantations.
- Use of Plastics.
- Beekeeping for cross pollination
- Capacity building of farmers and personnel
- Demonstration of latest technologies
For more details on latest guidelines visit National Horticulture Mission website
Source: Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture, Department of Agriculture & Cooperation, Ministry of Agriculture
- Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH) - Operational guidelines
- Cost norms and pattern of assistance under MIDH during XII plan for NHM and HMNEH sub schemes.
- Guidelines for the Vegetable Initiative for Urban Clusters.
- Farmers Producer Organisations- Policy Guidelines 2013 (1.1MB)